UTD collector's (limited) edition set

Any questions related to limited editions
MrLevity

Re: UTD collector's (limited) edition set

Post by MrLevity »

Just a slight addition to the above, the UK Ltd was only 100 pounds, an even better investment :P
jhanic

Post by jhanic »

And don't forget the different advance states:

US Light blue proof
US Hardcover proof without dust jacket
US Hardcover proof with dust jacket with "Proof" printed on it
UK Dark blue proof in plastic sleeve
UK Promotional pamphlet

I have all except the US hardcover proof with "Proof" dust jacket.

The UK pamphlet seems espcially scarce. Odd for a promotional item.

John
csmith10

Re: UTD collector's (limited) edition set (my reply part 1)

Post by csmith10 »

Thank you all again for all the answers and info. I am an avid book reader and I do collect books but not always in ths same sense that others do. I have most of Stephen King's books, but some are paperback, some hardback, some bought when they first came out and some bought wholesale later and some picked up at yard sales. I have always bought books because I wanted to read them and I never get rid of them, much to my hubby's dismay, because I may want to read it again and I just like having a big collection of books. Reading has always been a very important thing to me and you can tell this because I have bookcases loaded down with books (2/3 deep on each shelf). I have always been a mystery/horror fan, so I also read (so also keep) books by Dean Koontz, Robin Cook, James Patterson, Jonathan Kellerman, Patricia Cornwell, and Tami Hoag, and many more. I will also read true murder stories and then I have a few more interests (like criminal profiling, outbreak books (that discuss ebola, etc), animals, and a few humorous type stories.

Part 2 in the next post-I couldn't get it all in this one.
csmith10

Re: UTD collector's (limited) edition set (my reply part 2)

Post by csmith10 »

So I was excited to hear about this new book that some mention along with The Stand, which was definitely my fav book. Money is an object for me (a big object right now) as I am not working full time and my hubby is working less since the economy tanked, so any signed book is out of the question. I was hoping that maybe I could make a few bucks off the collector's edition, but then as I thought more about it, I figured it wouldn't be anything that I could hope to sell and recoup my money anytime soon. I ordered the collector's edition though and went ahead and bought the regular version. So when I get the collector's edition, I can do one of 3 things...send it back and just keep the regular version, keep the collector's edition and take the regular one back (so I would open the collector's edition and not worry about selling it), or keep both. Decisions, decisions!! :?
ur2ndbiggestfan

Post by ur2ndbiggestfan »

I've been out of work a while now too, but I still bought both signed, limited editions. I'm sure they'll go up in value, because even though Stephen King has certainly signed thousands of books by now, for some reason his signature ups the value of even trade editions. I've never really understood this, because I think anybody, even the author, damages the book by handling and scribbling in it. I'd much rather have a mint 1st edition of Carrie unsigned by King then a very good copy he signed, even it was to me personally. But that's just me. (The fact I did buy a signed copy in fine condition signed by King for $45 does not have any influence on the last sentence whatsoever)
So what I'm trying to say is, if you see Mr. King walking down the street, stop him and ask him to sign your UTD. Then it will surely go up in value.
And if Mr. King was visiting me and asked if I wanted him to sign my MINT 1st of NIGHT SHIFT, I would tell him no way!
ELazansky

Post by ELazansky »

ur2ndbiggestfan wrote:I've been out of work a while now too, but I still bought both signed, limited editions. I'm sure they'll go up in value, because even though Stephen King has certainly signed thousands of books by now, for some reason his signature ups the value of even trade editions. I've never really understood this, because I think anybody, even the author, damages the book by handling and scribbling in it. I'd much rather have a mint 1st edition of Carrie unsigned by King then a very good copy he signed, even it was to me personally. But that's just me. (The fact I did buy a signed copy in fine condition signed by King for $45 does not have any influence on the last sentence whatsoever)
So what I'm trying to say is, if you see Mr. King walking down the street, stop him and ask him to sign your UTD. Then it will surely go up in value.
And if Mr. King was visiting me and asked if I wanted him to sign my MINT 1st of NIGHT SHIFT, I would tell him no way!
I agree 100%. If I had a rare, first edition book, I would never want a signature in it. But, I love having autographed books on my shelves. I enjoy having signed books from some of my favorite authors without worrying about future values. Guess the whole autograph thing from going to the ballpark as a kid carried over into middle-age
csmith10

Post by csmith10 »

ur2ndbiggestfan wrote: (The fact I did buy a signed copy in fine condition signed by King for $45 does not have any influence on the last sentence whatsoever)
If I could find a signed one for $45, then I would buy that, but I have not seen any that cheap! Too bad I was not paying attention to what was going on with King and his books because he had a book signing in Sarasota FL to promote this new book. I live very near there and could have went had I known (and if I could have gotten tickets before they sold out). I know he has a house is Sarasota so I know he has to be out and about around there...I wonder how long it would take me to run into him if I tried! And I wonder if he would even sign it if he was out shopping, etc because he would know I was hunting him if I just "happened" to have a copy of UTD along with me. :) My son suggested we sit out on the curb by his house, but I think that might be asking to get arrested for stalking!
TheCollector
Site Admin

Post by TheCollector »

csmith10 wrote:
...I wonder how long it would take me to run into him if I tried! And I wonder if he would even sign it if he was out shopping, etc because he would know I was hunting him if I just "happened" to have a copy of UTD along with me. :) My son suggested we sit out on the curb by his house, but I think that might be asking to get arrested for stalking!
:mrgreen: I think you're right :mrgreen: