Charlie the Choo-Choo 1st trade edition

1st editions, book club, etc... find the answers here
Owen

Charlie the Choo-Choo 1st trade edition

Post by Owen »

Hi,

Does anybody have the complete specifics for the 1st trade edition of "Charlie the Choo-Choo"?

Does the number line: "2 4 6 8 10 9 7 5 3 1" indicate a first printing? I'm used to seeing "1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2" in SK Scribner/Schuster firsts. I understand that "Copyright c. 1942, Fourth Printing" is intended as a nod to the DT.

Any help/information would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Owen.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Re: Charlie the Choo-Choo 1st trade edition

Post by Mr. Rabbit Trick »

Owen wrote: Does the number line: "2 4 6 8 10 9 7 5 3 1" indicate a first printing?
Yes. The lowest number means the print number.
Owen

Post by Owen »

Hi,

Many thanks for the response.

Right. I see. I'm quite a novice with book collecting as I've only recently taken it up.

Can I ask, is there a specific reason why the number line in "Charlie the Choo-Choo" begins with a "2", as opposed to the usual "1" found in Scribner/Schuster 1st prints?

Regards,

Owen.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Owen wrote:Hi,

Many thanks for the response.

Right. I see. I'm quite a novice with book collecting as I've only recently taken it up.

Can I ask, is there a specific reason why the number line in "Charlie the Choo-Choo" begins with a "2", as opposed to the usual "1" found in Scribner/Schuster 1st prints?

Regards,

Owen.
Simon & Schuster made a right mess of this movie publicity edition. They started to print the book and then noticed they had missed some info. They stopped printing and made the corrections.
The first printing has a numberline of 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
The later printing has a numberline of 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 9, 7, 5, 3, 1
Both numberlines indicate a first printing, but the 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 one is the actual first.

The movie people must be loving all the attention this little book is getting. They are getting lots of free publicity for the forthcoming film. My guess is all this is deliberate to get people talking about the film.
Owen

Post by Owen »

Ah, right. I see. Thanks for the information.

That is a little mixed-up, and I suppose slightly annoying. I noticed Cemetery Dance had copies available for pre-order a few weeks back, but must of taken them down, as they're not even listed on their website anymore. I'm assuming for the reason you stated. Does anybody out there actually have a copy with the number line: "10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1"?

Owen.
Mr. Rabbit Trick

Owen wrote:Does anybody out there actually have a copy with the number line: "10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1"?

Owen.
I know several people who have it. They got theirs from Amazon and their local Barnes and Noble.
darrellyow@yahoo.com

Post by darrellyow@yahoo.com »

I have a copy with 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 number line, the different isbn number and the missing upc code on the back replaced w/a sticker
allasorte

Post by allasorte »

Exactly what Mr. Rabbit Trick stated.

On the DT site they have been talking and attempting to confirm the firsts

One of these with the US sticker on the back of the book and print line of 10-1, is rumored to be 10% of the print run of this book, so much rarer.
The US edition with the "1" present would still be a first, but not as rare.
I am also hearing from buyers that they are getting books of CTCC print runs with the lowest being a "2" and "3" and people are shocked that there are books after the first printing.
andyg1975

Post by andyg1975 »

Hi all, First time poster on here and relatively new SK collector. I've heard stories about this anomaly printing as it's becoming known.

I found this link on The Overlook Connection, thought it might interest you:

http://www.stephenkingcatalog.com/catal ... -2400.html